Airlinercafe Home Page

The Welsh Model 1/144 kit with Braz Models resin engines
Author: Alex Bigey
Submitted by: alexbigey   Date: 10-28-2005
Comments: (4)  
One of my childhood dreams I'm now very unlikely to realize was to travel onboard a Super VC-10, to me the most graceful airliner I've ever seen so far...And I'm not the only one with such an opinion if I refer to the numerous websites dedicated to the magnificent bird. Of which, my favourite VC-10 link:http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/types/uk/vickers/vc10/VC10.htm, because itself including the other links, and showing color pics of G-ASGA, the only Super VC-10 to wear the sober and elegant BOAC early scheme, which Welsh Models had the great idea to produce.

Having first intented to combine both Airfix VC-10 kit (Wings and engines) and Welsh slightly longer Super VC-10 kit (fuselage and undercarriage), I went to purchase both, to realize that the Super VC-10 wings are much different than its shorter variant: They have different fences designs and locations, and the Super VC-10 has a leading edge slot and wing area increased.



The Airfix kit eventually went back to the stock pile when I saw its engine nacelles showing bad sink marks and unrealistic front fan blades. So I purchased the Braz Models resin engines, which I must say are far from improvement to the Welsh ones, if the front fan blades weren't beautifully cast. I also acquired an ATP decal sheet for windows, just in case...



Construction is typical to vacform kits. Despite appearances, and especially with resin engines, a fair amount of weight is needed in the forward section to avoid having a tail sitter.

I had to scratchbuild the wing fences in thin plastic card, and choosed to cut the cockpit windows with framing from Evergreen rods, to fill them up using Micro Crystal Clear later on.

Problems occured whith resin engine nacelles due to a lack of symetry and uneven intakes.



I used Tamiya spray cans to paint the model: First with "light gray USAF", serving also as primer for the following " flat white". The boundary line is then sanded as smooth as possible to get a good decalling surface.

The decalling process was not for the faint hearted, especially about the fuselage cheatline. Decals were very thin and fragile. To get a good fitting on the nose section, I cancelled wrinkles using a razor saw, used gallons of Micro Set and Micro Sol, and got fairly rude during that time...

The cockpit top louvers are so small that they are not easy to shape up cutting plastic, so I used my ATP decal sheet as I found their black color more realistic than the grey Welsh decals.

A final coat of Humbrol Satin Varnish spray sealed the decals and gave an overall semi-gloss finish, before the undercarriage got fitted at last.

<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
by Alex Bigey

Member Comments :

 comment by: Ted Johnston posted on 11-06-2005, comment #1230


Very Nice Job! 8)


 comment by: rwallach1 posted on 11-06-2005, comment #1231


Beautifully done Alex.

I too get rude sometimes....


 comment by: logojet posted on 11-07-2005, comment #1237


Excellent job, Alex.


 comment by: proplineruk posted on 07-19-2006, comment #2320


Superb job, a model of the VC10 that looks like a VC10! and a vacform at that
well done welsh models as well