This model project started with a 1:200 scale Hasegawa DC 9-40 (for those who may not be aware, the Hasegawa kit is a -40). After researching and measuring, I determined that in order to convert it to a -10 version, the fuselage would have to be shortened by 5/8 of an inch (16mm) forward of the wing and 3/8 of an inch (10mm) aft of the wing. Cutting exactly between the windows, this worked out to removing seven windows forward and four aft. The remaining fuselage sections were assembled with Testors liquid cement. All openings, i.e., windows, windscreen, door outlines, and fuselage cuts were filled with gap-filling superglue pushed with accelerator.
br>The wings also needed modification. After the wingtip was removed at the kit recessed line, I cut 1/8 of an inch from the remaining wing. The wingtip was re-attached, aligning with the wing trailing edge.The leading edge of the wingtip was built up and reshaped with super glue and accelerator. The underwing vortillion shape was corrected and 1:200 FOTOCUT brass strakes were added to the leading edge.
After several coats of flat white
primer, the fuselage and engines were painted with Testors #1112 Light Yellow. Wings and horizontal stabilizers were painted with a mix of 8 parts Testors Gloss White and I part Testors #1138 Gray. The wing spars were masked and the remainder of the wing was airbrushed with Monogram-Humbrol Polished Aluminum. Engine intakes were then polished with SNJ Aluminum polishing powder and intake lips painted flat aluminum. Engine exhausts were sprayed with Metalizer Burnt Metal.
All parts were overcoated with Tamiya Clear before decaling.
Hughes Airwest titles, logos, and registration numbers are from the Flight Design sheet. Windshield and silver frame are from ATP; cabin windows from Microscale.
Baggage compartment doors and pressure ports were drawn with a light pencil on clear parts of the flight Design sheet and applied as decals. Round static ports were made with Waldron punches and metalized ATP decal film. Small stenciling came from various Microscale 1:72 and 1:144 scale military decal sheets. The black on the nose cone is a combination of a dot punched from black decal film surrounded by a ring cut from the same decal; the ring was cut into three seg-
ments to allow easier application.
As a finishing touch, recessed lines on the wings, horizontal stabilizers, rudder, engines, and wheel hubs were highlighted with a combination of Neutral Gray ink and a finely sharpened pencil. The entire model was then overcoated with Tamiya Clear.
Member Comments :
||comment by: Slow modeler posted on 11-22-2003
Exellent and superb job, Gene! It's very hard to belive that the model is in 1:200 scale!
Always admiring your work.
||comment by: res03r9m posted on 11-24-2003
Seeing this model on display in Mobile, Alabama and subsequently befriending Gene are what got me into airliner modelling. Gene turns out the most beautiful airliner models I have yet seen. I just wish he would produce more of them.
||comment by: aro757 posted on 11-28-2003
Great work Gene. I can't wait to put up your other articles with pictures. Yes, it is hard to believe that it is really 1/200 scale. Keep up the great work gene and keep showing us more of your little gems.
||comment by: Andrew posted on 12-09-2003
What a wonderful looking model Gene. Looks real sharp in the yellow scheme.